Sunday, January 20, 2013

First Princess

My enjoyable day yesterday painting the Faerie Door in the Dreaming Room gave me the courage to grab the first of twelve sheets of white posterboard I bought months ago, attach it to the clips on the art board my friends Dave & Chris gave me for Christmas, and start sketching out the first princess for the wall of the dining room.

I'm still not entirely sure I have the courage to take this project to phase 2.  Phase 1 has just turned out nicer than the skeptic in me thought it would, and that same skeptic keeps whispering that if I try to paint twelve princesses sleepwalking through the forest, it'll just ruin the whole thing altogether when I botch it up or have to quit halfway through from utter exhaustion and "sick-of-working-on-this-for-ten-years"edness...  If I thought phase 1 took a long time, imagine how long phase 2 will take. 

Well anyway, I figured there was no harm in drawing up the first princess, cutting her out, and placing her on the wall in the approximate spot I think she'd go.  If I AM ever going to paint all the princesses, I planned to do this anyway...draw them all out on posterboard, cut them out, and place them on the walls as if it was a giant Colorforms sheet until I figure out just where they look best.  Then and only then would I start the formidable task of actually painting them on the walls.

 It's hard to get a sense of size when you look at this, since you have to remember that this mural goes around *the entire room.*  The princess is, from the top of her head to the train of her skirt, almost two feet tall.




This also gives you a peek of how our dining room looks at night when the lights are low.  It really feels like being in a magic forest at midnight! 

Of course it goes without saying that if I do end up completing phase 2, this princess will be in color, done in deep tones to match the forest around her as best I can.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know what you're worried about... she already looks wonderful up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement Terri! Bryony, I just hope she looks as good in paint..

    Shveta, love right back!

    ReplyDelete