Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Thankful Month - Saving the Best for Last



And now my month of thankfulness is drawing to a close, and I have to confess that I've quite stereotypically saved the best for last: the single greatest thankfulness of my entire life.

I'm thankful for my husband.

Eight years ago on this very night, he and I were talking on the phone, saying goodnight and staying up way too late talking about everything and nothing.  I can say that with certainty because it was something we did every night without fail during that time of "getting-to-know-you" leading up to our first meeting in person in December of 2005.  We tried quite hard not to fall too deeply for each other until we at least met in person to find out if we were compatible, but we both failed quite miserably on that front: by the time I drove up 3 hours to Youngstown to meet him for the first time a week or two before Christmas, the butterflies in my stomach were only exceeded by the growing spark of love in my heart for him.


Looking back at that time, I marvel at how little I knew the man that I continue to learn inside and out.  How scared I was to follow my heart instead of what logic would deem wise (jumping into a relationship immediately after an emphatically failed one).  And yet it's so very true what they say about love and finally finding your true other half in another person.  It really is a moment of revelation, when the things you always tried to convince yourself were true of past relationships are instead felt on an intrinsic level, the same way you know snow is beautiful when it first falls, or a cat's purr can comfort all ills. 

I can honestly say that for the past eight years, I've never stopped growing deeper and more enthusiastically in love with Tom.  There hasn't been a day that I haven't eagerly anticipated coming home to him at the end of the day.  We live peaceably and comfortably, with a strong awareness behind all that we do that we can go out and take risks and have bad days and be scared and know that behind and underneath and at the base of it all, we have a solid foundation of love and belonging that will never ever budge or falter.

No comments:

Post a Comment