Friday, November 1, 2013

A Thankful Month Day One

Back in 2011, I resolved to spend the month of November recounting and ruminating on the many blessings in my life for which I was thankful.  You see...I'm one of those terrible people who start celebrating the Christmas season as soon as Halloween is over.  It's my favorite holiday and I want to stretch out my enjoyment of it as long as possible (although until after Thanksgiving I try to be subtle and quiet about it so as not to frustrate others).  However, I don't ignore Thanksgiving.  To me, the "Christmas season" includes two holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  The month of November prepares us and our hearts to be in a spirit of thankfulness and joy.  December and Christmas then celebrate this warmth and magic we've fostered in our hearts.

So I begin Thankful Month by celebrating one of the things I am by far most thankful for in my life: my Grandma.  Every Friday night without fail (barring traffic jams, snow storms or illness) we take her out to dinner, and all three of us look forward to the experience all week long.  I am so very thankful for every aspect of my Grandma: her mischievous wit, her kind heart, her steadfast love for family.  And her ability to pack away the dinner when she really enjoys it!  (like buffalo wings!)  We give her a round of applause every time she finishes her meal. 

So tonight I am thankful for our Friday nights with Grandma ritual.  I cherish them more than I can say.

Taken tonight at Steak and Shake, where she orders the Prince Royale burger: a Royale meal for a Queen!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to turn the whole of november in to a Thankful Month :) We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Norway, but I would like to :)

    You are lucky to have such a lovely ritual, and to have a loving grandmother <3 Wish I stil had my grandparents :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just stumbled upon your blog and I will certainly be a regular visitor. What an inspiring person you are, and what an excellent idea to spend one month thanking whatever life has to give us. I also love the Christmas season and I think I enjoy the anticipation of the whole month of December as much (I even think even more) than the actual celebration. You are so fortunate to spend time with your grandmother. My dad's mum died when he was a teenager and I was 7 when my mum's mum died so, indeed, being able to spend time with your grandma is one of the very first things to be thankful for. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete