Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rhodie Rooter

I've recently become smitten with the idea of planting some rhododendrons as part of the motley foundation garden at the front of our house. They're so beautiful! They're evergreen, with beautiful billowy blooms in the spring and early summer. And they suit my color scheme.

Today we spent some time chatting with our neighbors, and when I mentioned my plan for the rhodies to Linda, she had the most simultaneously atrocious and good news for me. Apparently the owners previous to the woman we bought the house from (got that? Two owners past) had at least two rhododendrons in front of the house...purple just like we plan to plant. And they were the pride of the neighborhood...everyone admired them. Then...they completely tore them out. When Linda asked why, they said that they had other plans for the front landscaping. Their "other plans" wound up being putting down nothing but dark mulch.

My heart twists to think that there were once beautiful specimens of rhododendron goodness in front of the house that were pulled up so pointlessly, but at the same time, the news is wonderful to hear that rhodies can do so well in the place I plan to put them!

2 comments:

  1. That's fantastic!! It's almost like you intuited the happy history of the house, and you're bringing it back.... how mysterious that it should be the same plant in the same color! I love this story so much. You realize now that those rhododendrons will seem twice as beautiful because they're touched with magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of it that way. I love it! :) Magic plants indeed. <3

    ReplyDelete