Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Thing of Beauty


After the utter failcraft of my first experience making a stencil for our stairs, I am re-contemplating the idea of instead putting a quote on the risers instead of the repeating pattern I was attempting. Today, I was perusing the web for possible quotes. Of course one of the first things I looked at was quotes from Keats, author of my favorite (cough obsession cough) poem "La Belle Dame Sans Merci." I am currently thinking of writing his famous line...the mantra of Victorian Aestheticism...

Beauty is Truth
Truth Beauty
That is all
Ye know on
Earth and all
Ye need to know

But I also stumbled across the equally famous lines from his poem "Endymion". I had of course heard them before, but they seemed deliciously apt for what Tom and I have discovered of our new bedroom, which has proven to be a blissful haven of peaceful rest for us thus far.

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep

A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.


This saying must be put somewhere on our bedroom walls...perhaps painted on our bedframe or above it on the wall. This may mean three Keats quotes on the walls throughout our house. Yeats (my favorite poet) might get jealous!

No comments:

Post a Comment