Thursday, May 5, 2011

Durability and Beauty


Many thanks to the amazing blog, Content in a Cottage, for featuring this marvelous story about a couple who built a modern farm house in Scotland based around the ruins of a farm house built on sand. The slide show makes it clear to me that the modern-style interior just isn't my cuppa, but what a romantic story. My favorite part, however, is the last line of the article:

"You can’t always shelve beauty in favor of durability,” she added. “Beautiful things so lift your spirit.”

What a lovely way of saying it. The sentiment, I feel, also applies to the "flaws" in their home itself. The idea of preserving the cracked stone foundation just feels so right to me, and helps me see the beauty in our own home's "flaws."

No comments:

Post a Comment