Friday, May 20, 2011

ID the Tree?


?

Well, you all were so absolutely amazing at immediately identifying the lamium in my front yard, I thought I'd give you another challenge.

We have no idea what kind of tree we have in our back yard. Here are a few helping images. Click any to see larger:

We just got blossoms on the tree about a week ago. And the birds and bees LOVE IT. Seriously, it's like chirp and buzz buzz city back there right now.

The flowers/tree smells like...well...it's kind of hard to explain what it smells like. It doesn't smell bad, per se, but it's a very musky raw smell, kind of earthy and slightly sour sweet.

Finally a last "pretty picture" of the tree and the back yard from today.

So help me, oh internets...what sort of tree do we have here?

4 comments:

  1. the flowers look like laurel but i have never seen one that big........... so I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't familiar with the Laurel, but when I looked it up it said they usually branch close to the ground? I agree though that the blossoms look very similar.

    I'm going to look up different kinds of Laurel to see if maybe there's a match. Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep, i'm pretty sure that's a hawthorne of some sort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linds, I'm pretty sure you got it!!

    ReplyDelete