Saturday, May 14, 2011

Neighborhood Picnic Day

Tom and I love our home. But we also really love our neighborhood too. Today was the day of the Mayberry-esque Neighborhood Picnic. And being that our names were on the flyers and everything ("Come Meet Your New Neighbors!!") I wanted to make a great impression.

Soooo, I made a new kind of pie, with hearts and houses, since we love our new neighbors:


Cherry Blueberry. It was a hit!!!

I couldn't help posing wearing the new apron my parents got me as a housewarming present. The whole obsession with pie began with my passionate discovery of the television show, Pushing Daisies, a couple of years ago. One of my favorite lines of the show is said by the main character, a pie maker: "Candy might be sweet, but it's a traveling carnival blowing through town. Pie is home. People always come home." Mom and dad had an apron embroidered for me with "Pie is home." :)


One of our new neighbors has been known for his crazy and fun outfits he has worn to different events like St. Patty's Day and Halloween. When teased that his look for the picnic was far too tame, he ran home and reappeared like this:


Tom and me after we first arrived at the picnic:


The spread!


The spread, part 2:


Tomorrow the plan is to get as much gardening done as possible. One thing I hope to buy is a couple of large pots for some potted plants to put on either side of our stairs. I made an attempt today to transplant a little bit of the lamium from the left side to the right side. Hopefully it will take off and we'll have a symmetrical spill of loveliness. The pots will go behind them on the ground.

This morning mom and I went garage sale-ing, and stopped by a couple of club plant sales. I bought a small container of forget-me-nots. Again, I hope they spread like wildfire. I'd love to have them all over in the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment